Halloween is a fun, festive time of year for many families in our area. Use these tips to help make sure that Halloween is an enjoyable time of year for your pets as well!
Tips to keep your pets happy and healthy during Halloween:
- Don’t feed your pets Halloween candy, especially if it contains chocolate or xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free candies and gum);
- Make sure your pet is properly identified (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case s/he escapes through the open door while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters;
- Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets;
- If you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable, doesn’t have any pieces that can easily be chewed off, and doesn’t interfere with your pet’s sight, hearing, breathing, opening its mouth, or moving. Take time to get your pet accustomed to the costume before Halloween, and never leave your pet unsupervised while he/she is wearing a costume;
- Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. The liquid in these products may be toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely;
- If your pet is wary of strangers put him/her in another room during trick-or-treating hours or provide him/her with a safe hiding place;
- Keep your pet inside.
If you have any questions or concerns about keeping your pet safe during Halloween or about entering our Pet Halloween Photo Contest please call us today at 804-642-5740.