Skip to content

Aug 29 2017

Beware of the Fungus Among Us!

Mushroom poisoning occurs when your pet ingests toxic mushrooms. Mushroom toxicity can be a common problem for pets that spend time outside or in wooded areas, especially in the summer and fall.

The best way to prevent your pet from ingesting potentially toxic mushrooms is to clear your yard. Before letting your pets outside, check your yard to ensure that no new mushrooms have grown overnight. Since it is difficult to tell which mushrooms are safe and which can cause harm it is best to remove any mushrooms that you find in your yard.

common toxic mushrooms

Common signs of mushroom toxicity may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Jaundice/Yellowing of the skin
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Excessive drooling
  • Seizures
  • Coma

If you notice any of these symptoms and think that your pet may have ingested a mushroom please contact us at 804-642-5740 or after hours, the Animal Emergency Center at 757-234-0461. Another good resource to contact can be the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. 

animalcare | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *