Skip to content

May 14 2013

No Sweets for your Sweets!

Valentine’s Day…that special time of year to equate your love for another with chocolate! Everyone loves to see that red hearted shaped boxed filled with little morsels from heaven, but please remember the very real and serious risk chocolate poses to your furry Valentines. Chocolate contains Theobromine and Caffeine. This combination can become deadly to your pet. All types of chocolate are poisonous, with Baker’s Chocolate being the deadliest, followed by Dark Chocolate, then Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate. It can take as little as 1 ounce per pound of your pets weight to cause serious medical problems which include, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, seizures, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. Dogs AND cats cannot metabolize Theobromine as quickly as humans and therefore succumb to the effects long after eating. After 17 hours a dog has still only processed half of the Theobromine in it’s system. And chocolate is just as deadly in cats, if not more so due to their small size. The smaller your pet, the deadlier the effects. If your pet ingests some chocolate, call your Veterinarian immediately with the approximate amount ingested and the weight of your pet for further instructions. Chocolate poisoning is a serious risk to your pet…keep these special Valentine Treats to yourself! After all, who REALLY wants to share their chocolate?

Lifelearn Admin | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *