Halloween is a fun, festive time of year for many families in our area. Use these tips to help make sure that Halloween is an enjoyable time of year for your pets as well! Head over to our Facebook page to enter our Pet Halloween Photo Contest!
Tips to keep your pets happy and healthy during Halloween:
- Don’t feed your pets Halloween candy, especially if it contains chocolate or xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free candies and gum);
- Make sure your pet is properly identified (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case s/he escapes through the open door while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters;
- Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets;
- If you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable, doesn’t have any pieces that can easily be chewed off, and doesn’t interfere with your pet’s sight, hearing, breathing, opening its mouth, or moving. Take time to get your pet accustomed to the costume before Halloween, and never leave your pet unsupervised while he/she is wearing a costume;
- Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. The liquid in these products may be toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely;
- If your pet is wary of strangers put him/her in another room during trick-or-treating hours or provide him/her with a safe hiding place;
- Keep your pet inside.
Pet Halloween Photo Contest!!
Go to our Facebook to enter!! To enter the contest please like and share the Halloween Photo Contest post, then comment a picture of your pet in their favorite Halloween costume! The picture with the most likes wins! Our first place winner will receive a $10 credit to Animal Care of Gloucester. Our second place winner will receive a $5 credit to Animal Care of Gloucester.
- Please keep all costumes family friendly. Our audience encompasses all ages and we want our contest to be enjoyable for all.
- We reserve the right to moderate our contest. Any photos deemed inappropriate will be removed.
- Please make sure all entries are your photos. Any photos that are used without the owners permission will be removed and not eligible for any prizes.
- Our contest is not affiliated with Facebook in anyway.
- The winners of the contest will be notified via Facebook with instructions on how to use their credits.
- Photo submissions are accepted until Nov. 1, 2017. “Voting” or Facebook likes will be open until Nov. 7, 2017.
If you have any questions or concerns about keeping your pet safe during Halloween or about entering our Pet Halloween Photo Contest please call us today at 804-642-5740.