Everyone is looking forward to the many wonderful 4th of July festivities that will be taking place this weekend! However, while these activities are exciting for human participants they can be very scary for your pets. Did you know that more pets go missing on the 4th of July than any other holiday? Keeping in mind these safety tips will help everyone in your family have a happy Independence Day!
It’s important to do some preparing before the festivities take place to keep your pet safe:
- Make sure all your pets have proper identification by making sure their ID tags and microchip information is up to date.
- Take a current photo of all your pets.
- If your pet is currently on anxiety medication make sure you have enough for the long weekend. If you think your pet may benefit from medication for anxiety please call today.
- Check your yard or other areas your pets will be kept during the festivities and make sure they are secure.
After your preparations are done, it’s time to have some fun! However, remember to remain vigilant about your pet’s safety. Keep these things in mind:
- If you are attending a party, fireworks, parades or other 4th of July events it is best to leave your pets at home. Strange environments, crowds and fireworks may frighten your pet. This increases the risk of them becoming spooked and running away.
- While your pets are at home. Put them a safe place, their crate or an escape proof room is ideal.
- If you are hosting a 4th of July party or gathering instruct your guests to keep an eye on your pets. A lot of people going in and out increases chances that your pet may get out. If your pet is attempting to escape putting them in their crate may be best until the party is over.
- If you or your neighbors are setting fireworks off keep your pets inside.
- Avoid feeding your pets scraps from the grill or other foods. Some human foods can be toxic to your pets.
- When your pet is outside make sure they have access to shade and fresh water. Monitor your pet for signs they may be overheating.
Everyone from Animal Care of Gloucester hopes that you and your pets have a safe 4th of July! We will be open on Monday July 3rd. If you have any questions or concerns please call us at 804-642-5740.