Skip to content

Apr 07 2017

Easter Lilies: A Holiday Hazard

While beautiful, the Easter lily can be very dangerous to have around your cats. Ingesting any part of an Easter lily; the petals, stem, leaves, or even the water or pollen from the vase; can be very harmful to your cat’s system. Some common signs that your cat may have ingested part of an Easter lily include:

  • Reduced appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Urinating out of the litter box
  • Seizures
  • Death

easter-lily

If you suspect that your cat has ingested part of an Easter lily seeking immediate veterinary attention is key. The sooner that your cat is brought in, the more effective their treatment may be. DO NOT WAIT until the signs of illness appear. Treatment for ingestion of an Easter lily may include; inducing vomiting, activated charcoal, IV fluids and blood work.

While not toxic to your dog in the same way, it still can be harmful for them to consume Easter lilies. Your dog may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration as a result.

Prevention is the best way to keep you pets safe. DO NOT keep Easter lilies around your pets at all. Even if they are supervised. It does not take long for a cat to ingest enough of the plant to cause serious and often life threatening illness. If you suspect that your pet may have consumed any part of an Easter lily seeking veterinary attention as soon as possible is always best. If you have any questions about Easter lily toxicity or Easter plants that are safe to be around your pets, please contact us today at 804-642-5740. If your pet consumes Easter lily after hours, please contact the Animal Emergency Center at 757-234-0461 or the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-764-7661.

animalcare | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *